Application example Sternal closure after sternotomy with STRATOS Sternum Clip
Application example Sternal closure after sternotomy with STRATOS implant bridge
Sternal closure with STRATOS sternal clip
Partial or total sternotomy is used to gain a surgical approach for operations on organs of the mediastinum. Examples of operations include openheart surgery, coronary artery vein grafts and heart transplants. Total sternotomy means a longitudinal incision from the manubrium to the xiphoid.
Following longitudinal-axis sternotomy the „sternal halves“ are subjected to accurate reduction and fixed in proper alignment with one another.
For this purpose the sternal clip is designed for load-bearing, functionally efficient stabilisation of the sternum. Its use enables rapid mobilisation of the patient without restricting thoracic motion.
Clinical evidence was confirmed for the following indications:.
- Surgical stabilisation for sternal osteotomy
- Chronic pain conditions in connection with incomplete ossification following sternal osteotomy
Sternal closure with STRATOS implant bridge
Primary stabilisation following sternotomy or following very off-centre sternotomy is achieved by affixing implant bridges. In this procedure the osteotomised sternum is pressed close together and stabilised by clo-sure of the implant bridges.
Distance stabilisation is also achieved by affixing implant bridges. In this procedure the osteotomised sternum is not joined together but a gap is left between the two sides in order to support wound healing. The rib clips can be affixed far to the side of the osteotomy on the intact ribs, thus bridging the critical region and ensuring the required stability.
- Closure with at least 5 clip segments, e.g. 1 titanium sternum triple clip and 1 titanium sternum double clip
- Stable motion closure of the sternum
- Prevention of axial and horizontal displacement
- No damage due to perforation
- Various widths of the sternum clip
- Three-dimensional adaptation to the anatomy of the sternum
- Interference-free imaging CT / MR
- The patient is mobile immediately after the procedure
- Pain relief through functionally stable fixation
- No pain-related breathing restrictions
- Rapid healing without restriction of movement of the thorax
- Reduction of postoperative wound infection
- We always recommend three implant bridges for one sternal closure
- an implant bridge comprises of two titanium rib clips and one titanium connecting bar
- the titanium rib clips are selected according to the anatomical situation and placed on the left and right side on the ribs
- after precise positioning and alignment of the titanium rib clips the titanium connecting bar is shortened to the particular length and introduced to the connectors of the titanium rib clips
- the titanium rib clips are fixed in place on the rib
- the titanium connecting bar is crimped onto the connectors of the titanium rib clips
- primary management and distance-ensuring management possible
- secure connection by crimping the connectors of the titanium rib clips to the titanium connecting bar
- immediate functionally stable fixation
- the patient is mobile directly after the intervention
Titanium rib clip, right, 22.5°, Standard
Titanium rib clip, left, 22.5°, Standard
Titanium rib clip, right, 45°, Standard
Titanium rib clip, left, 45°, Standard
Titanium rib clip, right, 22.5°, XL
Titanium rib clip, left, 22.5°, XL
Titanium rib clip, right, 45°, XL
Titanium rib clip, left, 45°, XL
Titanium rib clip, straight, Standard
Titanium rib clip, straight, XL
Titanium connecting bar, completely serrated, 190 mm
Titanium connecting bar, completely serrated, 230 mm
Flat-nosed bending pliers for rib clips and connecting bars, 13.5 cm
Pliers for horizontal bending and axial torquing of the rib clips. In this procedure the pliers are used in pairs.
Three-point bending pliers for rib clips, 18 cm
Pliers for longitudinal axis-adjustment of the angle of the Titanium rib clip
Rib clip fixation pliers, Universal
Pliers for affixing the titanium rib clip to the rib
The pliers is placed vertically on the titanium rib clip to be closed and then closed completely.
In this procedure the hold-down device presses on the titanium rib clip and keeps it in position whilst the lateral jaws shape and fix the titanium rib clip segments around the rib.
With this instrument it is possible to affix not only standard titanium rib clips but also XL ones.
Rib clip fixation pliers for Standard rib clips, angled 100°, 20.5 cm
Rib clip fixation pliers for XL rib clips, angled 100°, 20.5 cm
Pliers for affixing the titanium rib clip to the rib.
Implant crimping pliers, 18 cm
Implant crimping pliers, angled 100°, 20.5 cm
Pliers for final closure (crimping) of the connection between Titanium rib clip and Titanium connecting bar.
Implant cutting pliers with exchangeable jaw inserts, 22cm
Pliers for cutting the titanium connecting bars
Tunneling instrument, 36 cm
Instrument for the preparation of retrosternal or presternal soft-tissue tunnels in order to accommodate Titanium connecting bars..
Sterilizing container (Polyphenylsulfone)
Sterilizing Container (Polyphenylsulfone), half-size